7.11.2008

useless.

Sooooo. {I think I often start my posts with a long "soooo" or "ok...." or "Ok. so..." .... I'm going to have to stop that}.

Anyway. Sooooo. Last night Sean went to play basketball at 8:15ish. I was kind of excited for the free time this would give me to get some stuff done around the house. It's been waaaaay too long since I've deep cleaned the house. All of the floors needed to be swept & mopped or vacuumed. The pile of laundry was getting high. The fridge and pantry were a mess. etc. etc. etc. After Sean left the house, this is what I actually accomplished:

I watched about 15 minutes of "The Recruit" starring Colin Farrell, Al Pacino & Bridget Moynahan. This movie is on tv constantly. You know how some movies are on tv every day for like a week? Well this movie is on tv every day for like FOREVER. I transferred my latest pictures from my camera to the computer. While I was already sitting at the computer, I looked at blogs, checked my email, etc. for probably 20 minutes. I went downstairs to pick up the living room and decided that I didn't like the way things were arranged on my entertainment cabinet. So I spent a few minutes rearranging. When I was putting a book away into my little basket of coffee table books, I found my Encyclopedia of Useless Information. And this is where I waved goodbye to all of my high hopes of cleaning the house. I filled my brain with useless information for probably an hour. And then Sean came home and we went to bed.

So those two hours were a big huge waste of time, but I did learn some pretty interesting useless information:

According to research published in 2002, English speakers say "um" before a long pause and "uh" before a short one. No U.S. president between 1940 and 1996 uttered a single "uh" or "um" in his inaugural address.

The glass slippers in the Cinderella story were originally fur. The change came from confusion among translators between the midieval French vaire ("fur") and verre ("glass").

In Bangkok, in October 1996, a wedding celebration costing $34,000.00 was held for two cats called Phet and Ploy.

In 2000, George W. Bush became the first right-handed president since Jimmy Carter: Reagan, Bush senior & Clinton were all left-handed.

Giraffes can not cough or swim.

Forty is the only number which, when spelled out in English, has its letters in alphabetical order.

In the United States, 25% of Baskin Robbins 31 Flavors ice cream sales are for plain vanilla.

WOW. Maybe I'll start a new column on my blog. Friday can be "Useless Information Day".

3 comments:

Sean said...

i wonder which giraffe was the unlucky one they threw in a pool. suck to be him.

Adrienne said...

interesting... i liked it

Juliann said...

Love your useless information! I'm a total sucker for things like that...so keep posting it!