7.01.2009

observations.

there is a man in my neighborhood who is constantly out working in his yard. and i mean constantly. his wife must be the breadwinner because he is out there all day every day in a wife-beater and shorts, watering and trimming and weeding and landscaping. and his yard is perfect. his grass is emerald green. what's really great about it is that he lives between 2 vacant lots. there is no fence, so his perfectly manicured yard is surrounded on all sides by dirt, rocks and weeds. it's like a little oasis in the middle of a really ugly, weed-infested desert. this man seriously takes pride in his yard.

just down the street from immaculate lawn guy lives foreclosed house. foreclosed house's yard is overgrown with weeds taller than me. it makes me wonder if once upon a time there was grass? or if they never put a yard in? and why in the world the neighbors haven't done anything about the jungle of weeds next door???? foreclosed house has neighbors on both sides who take care of their yards. if it were me, it would drive me crazy to live next this house. i would have taken my weed wacker to that yard long ago!

and somewhere in the middle is my postage stamp of a backyard. we water the grass once in a while, cut the grass once a week {usually}, and try to remember to water the flowers. but mostly i'm just glad i don't have much of a yard to take care of right now. someday, however, i will bring out the inner wife-beater guy in sean and he will keep our huge, shady, beautifully landscaped yard perfectly manicured :) {if not, i'll have to hire wife-beater guy to do it.}

7 comments:

Sean said...

I'll be more than happy to be the wife-beater yard husband, you just have to be the sugar mamma so I can stay home and take care of it every day. Sounds like a good trade off.

Adrienne said...

we have tons of perfect yards out here but it's old retired seniors doing it... or young hired landscapers. ours is a work in progress but at least we trim the grass

Gina said...

ha. sean: for all we know ariel IS the breadwinner. Halo at 3pm doesn't count as work.

Jennie said...

I know EXACTLY the two homes you are talking about. Wife beater guy has white gravel right? That's hilarious and I've often thought the same thing about him.

ariel said...

that is the very one, jen :)

Marianne said...

Ha Ha! Yes, I have seen wife beater guy too and have thought the same thing! What does he DO for a living???

Chris and Tara said...

I know the houses you're talking about. I love the wife-beater's house (that sounds bad, doesn't it?) but I've never noticed his clothes before. And I would go crazy living next door to the forest of weeds too. Several times I've thought of going over there myself to cut those monsters down. But I don't want to ruin my lawnmower and weedwacker.