1.05.2009

baby stuff.

this is mostly for me, so i can look back & remember what was going on in my pregnancy at 21 weeks... but maybe you'll be interested too.
finally i'm feeling the baby move. my doctor asked me at 16 weeks and i said NO. and he asked me again at 20 weeks and i still hadn't. his words were: "that's not TOO far out of the ordinary"... and then i started worrying and obsessing. you might say that i started feeling the baby because of my sheer will power. after my appointment last week, i spent a lot of time concentrating on my abdomen and trying to differenciate between baby movements and "other movements". for some reason, i thought the baby was higher than she is, so when he did the ultrasound i got a better idea for where i would be feeling her. and now, my friends, i can definately tell when it is a baby movement... and it makes me so happy! i can't wait until she's karate kicking me and sean can feel it too!

finally i'm starting to have a very teeny tiny baby bump. i'm pretty sure sean thinks i'm just bloated or "sticking it out", but i promise it's a REAL baby bump. there is no sucking this thing in. i have to be wearing a super tight shirt for it to be visible to anyone, but hey, i'll take it. i even bought a few maternity shirts the other day... even though i can totally wear everything i own still. but i get a little over-excited sometimes!

the last week or so i have been voraciously thirsty!! it's so annoying! no matter how much i drink, i'm still thirsty. and this usually happens around 9pm. as if i wasn't already getting up at least twice every night. i kept wondering when the constant hunger would strike, and it has arrived also. i don't know how i can be hungry after eating a large orange, a bowl of broccoli cheese soup and two rolls, but last night i was dying of hunger and had a bowl of cereal about 30 minutes after dinner.
on a totally random side note: i have decided that i hate hate hate the terms "prego", "preggers", "preggy" or anything of the sort. i don't know why they bother me so much. call me old fashioned, but i like "pregnant" or "expecting". don't worry, i don't hate hate hate you if you say them, you'll just never hear those words in my vocabulary.

names, names, names. lately sean has decided that we REALLY need to pick out a middle name. we've had her first name picked out pretty much since we found out i was pregnant. but for some reason sean is super anxious to choose a middle name too. i keep telling him that we have 20 weeks to decide. but last night we read baby names from our book for like 3 hours. we found maybe 2 names that we both like... but none that we both love. it's a miracle that we ever decided on a first name that we both love.

that's all the baby stuff i've got today. many more posts like this to come, i'm sure!

12 comments:

Adrienne said...

feeling the baby move is so fun. I remember wearing my smallest shirts on days I felt like showing early (in winter it's great to hide it when you don't want to show too). I'm so excited for you. We had a really hard time with names for our first so I'm happy you have a name you both really like in the first place.

Morgan said...

what are you guys naming her?????

Joanna McGuire said...

You are so cute and I can't wait to feel my baby move. Mine won't come for quite a while though. I am so excited for you guys.

Bec* said...

Dear Ariel and Sean,

Happy New Year! My name is Becca, and I am a senior Visual Studies major in college. I’m writing in hopes that you’ll help me out with my thesis. For this, I am working on a project titled: “A Need To Write: The evolution of personal narrative from books to the blogosphere.”

The project centers around researching what it is about writing that compels so many people to keep diaries, journals, scrapbooks or the like. In recent years, blogging has become increasingly popular as a way for people to keep journals/diary. As part of this project, I have begun my own blog which acts as both a public diary as well as a place to discuss the progress of the thesis. In addition, I have begun following other bloggers. I have tried to research a diverse group of writers, found randomly through Blogger or WordPress and simply began following the person’s writing.

This is how I came across your blog. I was wondering, if you wouldn’t mind, if we might do an e-mail interview regarding your blog. I’m not looking to intrude, but I would really just like to hear your thoughts on blogging, why you started writing, and other related subjects. I would really appreciate any and all insight as this is a very important aspect to my project.

If you would like to know more about my project, or me, please visit my blog at http://a-need-to-write.blogspot.com and feel free to contact me with any questions at a.need.to.write@gmail.com

Thank you very much for your time!

Shawnee said...

Oh, you guys are so cute! I just love that Sean is so excited about picking a name, I think that's sweet. And, I am totally with you on the "prego/preggers..." thing. I think it's weird. I'm with you when it comes to preferring "pregnant."

Jamie said...

For you I will not ever ask how prego Ariel is (it bugs me too)? Just saying :)

Also, I'm super glad you FINALLY updated your photo blog!

Caprene said...

Funny, having never been pregnant, I've never thought about when you actually start to feel the baby move. How fun for you now and for Sean soon enough...

Gina said...

So no smileys and no prego. Got it. ;) Couldn't resist. Isn't it so exciting feeling the baby move? And picking names? I love it. Oh, and I totally remember having bowls of cereal right after dinner. Seriously. Right there with ya.

Ann's ART said...

Ariel, aren't all of these things so fun? Especially for the first time!! Here is a trick for the thirsty thing. I would always keep a huge glass of ice by my bed at night. I swear if you suck on a piece of ice, it makes that thirst go away. I thought that was the most annoying thing about being pregnant. I thought I was dying.

Sue said...

Yea for feeling your baby move! Sean is going to love it when he can feel her move. I still can't believe you are only 2 1/2 weeks behind me...there is no way I would be able to tell you are pregnant just by looking at you. You look great!

Erika said...

I love reading about your baby stuff! So, are you going to be sharing her 1st name with us or not until she is born??

Chris and Tara said...

I totally agree about the slang terms for pregnant. They drive me nuts. However, I'm still in love with smiley faces. Ü