1.30.2008

Washington D.C.

I am getting SO excited to visit Washington D.C. for the 2nd time in February (I'm not counting the "layover" we had in the city over Christmas Break last year). We went there over Christmas break in 2006 and I LOVED it. I had always wanted to go there and it's amazing that I get to go back! The company that I work for is having a seminar there and I am the lucky person who gets to go help out. Some of the highlights of our first trip were: The D.C. Temple, Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, the Holocaust Museum, riding the Metro, seeing the White House, the World War 2 Memorial (amazing), the National Gallery of Art and visiting Mt. Vernon (not technically in D.C.).

We didn't get to go into the US Capitol building because Gerald Ford died that same week and there was some big deal going on (probably a funeral) at the Capitol. We also didn't get to visit the National Museum of American History because it was closed down for renovations. They had moved a couple of the exhibits into the Air & Space museum so we did get to see Dorothy's Shoes, Kermit the Frog, Rocky Balboa's robe, and a few other AMAZING things. I have heard that the American History museum is the most exciting one, so hopefully it will be open this time!
.
.
Hopefully on this trip I will get to:
.
1. See the National Mall (all of the monuments) at night time
2. Visit Jefferson Memorial (it's quite a hike away from the other monuments... but I would really like to see it)
3. Spend more time at the National Gallery of Art. I don't think Sean will be up for this. He just about died of boredom when we spent an HOUR there last time. I could spend a WEEK looking at all of that amazing art!
4. Eat at some restaurants in downtown (last time we ate at the same DANG sandwhich place EVERY day because it was 10 feet in front of the Metro station)
.
.
If anyone has been to D.C. and has suggestions of fun things to do or yummy restaurants, please send them my way!

2 comments:

Erika said...

I went in October 2006 to visit my brother who lives in Maryland. It was sooooo fun! I want to go back. You need to for sure visit the Smithsonian-Air and Space museum and natural history. Also, Arlington Cemetary is amazing!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ariel I found your blog through Rachael. I recognized you and your husband I used to work at Consulmed too. Anyway your blog is cute and I went to school with Johnny Taylor and Erika Paget so tell them hi if you see them. Here is our blog if you would like to peek www.kandiceandmark.blogspot.com