4.24.2009

definitely embarrassing.

i recently realized that i've been spelling these two words incorrectly for as long as i can remember.

definitely. {i thought it was definately with an a}

embarrassing. {i thought it was embarassing with ONE r. and apparently i realized this once before, and yet i continued to spell it wrong!}

i blame all of my grammatical and spelling errors on spell check. it's made terrible spellers of us all.

the thing that i really hate about it is... i'll just say it... i'm kind of a snob about spelling and grammar. {you might be wondering why i don't give a flying whatever about capitalization. well... i just don't!} i'm one of those people who secretly takes great pleasure in finding spelling errors in books, on fliers, on signs, in the newspaper, etc. i found a spelling error in my copy of the memory keeper's daughter and it made my whole week. i'm also the type who wants to die of embarrassment when i look back on my posts and find a typo. it kills me, and i have to fix it immediately. it's a horrible and judgmental habit, and i'm sorry.

i'm also sorry for all future spelling/grammar errors. i'm sure there will be many. it's a blog, after all, not a professional publication.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Hi Ariel!
I've been a lurker and I just had to comment on this one. I found about 5 typos in Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling and I had to tell my husband over and over.

Congratulations on your almost-newest addition to your family! I miss sitting next to you in choir!

Jenny (Rose) Maddy

ClaysJenna said...

divine is the one that gets me...I know exactly how it's spelled but then for whatever reason almost without fail I spell it devine...

Adrienne said...

don't watch my blog... I'm horrible.

Amy said...

:) I'm sorry for my offensive typos, I do the same thing and am mortified every time I read back through things - I'm a bad person.

You should know I've never read your posts thinking "she has horrible grammar" and there are some people I think that of.... :)

Rachel said...

Do you ever "correct" them with a red pen when you find them in books? I do.
You've probably already been here, but just in case you haven't:
www.spogg.org
I submit stuff all the time but they've never deemed it worthy of posting. Half the stuff they point out I would never have caught.